How to Get an Accident Report in Richmond

Following a vehicle collision or other kind of serious accident, the police will often arrive on the scene. They will almost always make a report about the accident, as well as give their observations on the accident scene, and they will record interviews with witnesses.

An accident report can be a key piece of evidence when filing an insurance claim or when filing an injury claim against a negligent party. That’s why it’s important that you understand how to get an accident report in Richmond.

Requesting Your Accident Report from a Law Enforcement Agency

When you discover that you need to request an accident report to use as proof in your injury claim, you will then need to figure out which law enforcement agency to contact. You need to know which agency because separate agencies maintain separate records.

For instance, the Richmond Police Department (RPD) is a separate law enforcement agency from the Richmond City Sheriff’s Office (RCSO). The RPD won’t have an accident report completed by a deputy with the RCSO.

Once you figure out which agency to contact, you then need to use the method that works for you. Most agencies allow you to request records over the phone, over the Internet, by mail, or in person, but not all of them do. For instance, the Richmond Police Department allows you to obtain a copy of a police report in person or over the phone. The fee is $5.00.

If the report you need is for a vehicle collision, and not for some other accident type, then you can request a copy of your report through the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. They maintain records of all vehicle accidents in Virginia (that have been reported) for a minimum of thirty-six months.

They are required to release the full auto wreck report to participants in the accident, or to their representatives.

Need a Vehicle Crash Attorney’s Help? Call Today!

Now you know how to get an accident report in Richmond. Hiring an attorney for help with your Richmond car accident claim is a good idea. Your attorney can help you to receive full compensation for your accident from the at-fault party’s insurer. Reach out to a top-rated attorney at Halperin Law Center by calling 804-527-0100 or by sending in the form below.



MM slash DD slash YYYY

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Whether you’ve been involved in an auto accident, a civil rights violation, or a personal injury, you can rest assured knowing a top-rate Richmond lawyer at Halperin Law Center will give you personalized attention, guidance, and support you deserve. We work tirelessly to help win the compensation and justice you deserve in your case.


Site Built by FreshMove Media


Glen Allen (Main Office & Mail)

Richmond (By Appointment)

Follow us: